And This Is The End

As I finished up the semester with the phase 4 essay, I reflected upon everything we have done this far. Before beginning this course, I didn’t know what to expect. I came into this class with a limited expectation of what I will be doing, but over the course of the 3 phases, I have gained many new skills. I also was able to have a deeper understanding of language literacy. The first phase was focusing on our narrative. I had the opportunity of talking about how the English language and literacy impacted us. The second phase took a different path than the last. In this one, I had to do research and expand more on my knowledge language and literacy. The third phase was addressing the myth of language. I had to use a visual to show the myth as well. Each of these phases build off of each other. They all focus on and addressing language and literacy to help grow our knowledge of languages. Throughout all these phases I was able to recognize language and literacy roles in society. I was also able to go more in-depth analyzing my own and my peer’s works. I got into the habit of having strategies with my work as well. With the help of my teachers and peers, I was able to benefit from all the resources within the course and while developing my work.

The first phase was an introductory phase to the class. It was the start of exploration into language literacy. I was able to succeed in this through my narrative. By speaking on how English impacted me I would be demonstrating my understanding of language. I had to show my understanding or somewhat knowledge of language through a written and spoken version of my work. I decided to write about how Poetry impacted my life. Along presenting two poems that I had recently worked on. In this phase, I explored “recognizing the role of language attitude”. I did this by exploring such texts like “Mother Tongue” by Amy Tan, “Nobody means more to me than you…” by June Jordan, and “How To Tame a Wild Tongue” by Gloria Anzaldua. Both these texts had shown me different ways English is presented. These tests showed me the difference in language attitude and even the relative status of them. It wasn’t just reading these texts alone but working on a charting text that helps. By doing the charting text worksheet I was able to “analyze the text even more to get a deeper understanding of the varieties of genres”. The charting worksheet was a worksheet where I would use quotes and go in-depth with them from mine and the author’s perspective. I also was able to apply what I discovered in my work. In Phase One I was also able to “engage in collaborative work of social aspect and situation” with the help charting text. I was seeing and observing what my peers also got out of the text. I also used that to my advantage when it comes to developing my phase one essay on literacy narrative.

*This is the charting worksheet*

In the second phase, I got more in-depth with literacy and language. In this phase, I focus on researching more about language and literacy. Unlike the first phase instead of telling how languages impacted me I had to speak on the impacts of language on the world. I also had to “summarizing, synthesis and taking a stance” for this essay. With the help of a Rhetorical Precis worksheet, I was able to accomplish that. A rhetorical precis is a guideline in the means of structuring a paragraph. It is broken down into 4 sentence which helps the writer explain a source better. The first sentence introduces the author. After that explain the way the author developed and supports the thesis. Then what the author’s purpose is and finally addressing the audience. It helped set up a guideline for me to follow that benefit me for the essay. To fully have the essay work I needed to work on strategies and skills. Some strategies like creating a draft, rereading that draft, revising my work helped me a lot. Doing this, in turn, helped me build off my previous writing skills. Within this essay, I had to use more than just provided sources. I had to use resources from a database. In class, we had to learn access to the school’s library and other sources to help us in this essay. We used it in a way to “locate articles and other academic resources”. Along with practicing “systematic application of citations” in this essay. We were taught to cite our resources. This helps me create and expand my knowledge when it comes to doing a research essay. It also helped me improved my skills when writing an essay.

*This is the Rhetorical Precis*

In the third phase, I worked on analyzing language and using my knowledge in the two previous phases. I learn to apply to learning a language and then debunking. Even though this was something I felt unfamiliar with I still manage to succeed in this phase and achieve a new understanding of languages and their myth. The myth I chose to talk about is language appropriation. I was able to do this using the reading provided and the discussion I took part in the class. For this essay, I was able to “recognize and practice key rhetorical terms and strategies when engaged”. I need to figure out a strategy to use when it came to addressing and debunking the myth, along with me recognize and analysis what I was talking about. I was able to get this with the helping of the reading and the discussion board. I also had to apply the uses of visual aid to help explain my myth. I selected the aid of music which help me achieve the use of “Print and digital technology to address a range of audiences”. With the help of my selected myth, I was able to help my audiences understand my myth. I did this by providing external sources like the song I picked and the article I found. This third phase allowed me to go look towards the negative side of language and debunked it.

*This the discussion board*

This course has taught me a lot through these past phases. I have grown my skills as a reader and writer. I was able to address how writing personally impacted and shifted my life. I did this by looking back on my past and seeing the most impactful moment. I choose to talk about my introduction to how I got into poetry. Then I was later able to address how language impacts the world. I did through talking about languages in education. I spoke on how language is institutionalized, along with how through education things can change. Finally, I look through the misconception of language and the myth that exists. I wanted to talk about this through the means of talking about a myth that not everyone knows about. I decided on the topic of language appropriation. In the end, this course has deeply enhanced my understanding of language literacy, along with accents and dialects.